Selden Homes For Sale
Welcome to Selden
In 1916, the Suffolk County Tuberculosis Sanatorium opened on land then considered to be part of Holtsville. The location, including some of its original buildings, became in 1961 the main (Ammerman) campus of Suffolk County Community College, which today has an enrollment of over 11,000 students.
From 1919 to 1959, Telescope Hill on the south side of Selden was the location of a fire lookout tower. During World War II, a German U-boat spotted from Telescope Hill was later captured but not identified.
In 1935, a new public school building was built near the same location as the prior school building, near the intersection of Bicycle Path and Middle Country Road. That building was renovated in the 1980s and became a branch of the Middle Country Public Library.
The main thoroughfare, Middle Country Road, was paved from Smithtown and through Selden to Coram around 1927-8. The rural nature of Selden soon began to change, when in 1931 (when it had around 131 residents ), real estate agents began marketing small lots to New York City residents as retreats from urban living, in a development called “Nature’s Gardens”. This was located on the south side of Middle Country Road and Evergreen Drive. Suburban development increased in earnest in the early 1950s, and by the early 1970s Selden had become a primarily suburban community.
Content Courtesy of Wikipedia.org